I’ve always been a sonically-motivated runner, although my running playlists have tended to stay quite as constrained as my ability, previously only being able to manage 1 1/2 – 2 miles, I’ve tended to stick to songs that have a bit of emotional stab or musical push to offer up a quick rush of adrenaline, something to my head down and my mentality to dig in.
But now I’m managing to push longer distances, I’m finding much better escape from songs that do quite the opposite, taking me away from the run entirely, and my current favourite, kicking in around 3 miles, is Trials and Way’s tribute to Brazilian pixação artist, Francisco Rodrigues da Silva (Nunca).
The second the ghetto-blaster button clunk drops the analog hiss is like an instant release of pressure, and while the lyrics make explicit mention of the streets and alleys of Sao Paulo, when the choral harmonies flow underneath the dream guitar, running app, trainers and footfall might as well be miles away. Pure motion.
I’ve been a big fan of Coda the last few years of using it (for non-version controlled projects, having a version of Transmit built into the software has come good time and again). The one rare, problem I’ve picked up using it is it can struggle with projects connecting over SSH, without much documentation for a workaround.
I spent ages sure my fingers must be failing me rather than the tech, mixing and messing with login details until I eventually discovered that you can supersede the settings that are entered in the project bookmark by adding a config file into the .ssh folder with details to match it. After adding that, a quick reboot of the software and Coda should pick it up automatically.
Documented gist of what exactly should match up is below, and a comment-free version (as it should be in the .ssh folder) below that.
Recently we were working on an extensive brochure-style site with a “view only” catalogue area.
Part of the way through the build the requirement became apparent that certain products were going to feature in multiple terms of our navigational taxonomy. Not typically a problem, but some ancillary data on the page was to be determined by which term they had navigated from. A quick fix solution would be to query string the values in the archive and pull them through on the single page, but this would leave a really ungraceful, and SEO-unfriendly link structure.
So we first applied some WP_Rewrite Rules to create a more graceful structure, and then opted to get the navigational structure by tapping in to the request string in the global $wp object.
To do this we created a function that converts this URL into an array and then drops the current page/post slug; grabbing the previous value (which is the deepest navigational slug) and performing the get_term_by to return a term object.
If you’ve any use for this function, you can grab the gist here.
Really interesting watch. In parts it was nice to just have a modern take on fundamentals I last read about in books that are getting on 10 years old (I’m looking at you, Advanced CSS Mastery).
On the flip side, looking at reflow on a nano-level, and in depth at rendering objects was totally new. Fundamentals I should have known about before today given my CSS ego – the 0111 way of determining specificity and browsers reading selectors rtl.